Thursday, August 30, 2007

Florence Nightengale?

Warning: This post contains miserable stories of vomit and another word that I can't bring myself to even type, but it starts with a "D". Last Monday, Nicholas had a 104 fever for 24 hours. This was followed by a weird rash on Wednesday, similar to Roseola, but not quite the same. He also spent many a night that week waking up screaming which made me wonder about an ear infection. Wednesday night, my smallest angel decided to wake up at 2am and stay up until 5 am. There was a lot of rocking and bottles and back and forth to the crib during that time. Just as I was dozing off about 5:20, I hear the big angel saying, "Mom, mom, my tummy hurts!" (this is always funny to me because Chuck is clearly Patrick's favorite, but in the middle of the night, he can't seem to remember his name...). Anyways, Patrick made it to the bathroom in time and proceeded to vomit every 15 minutes for the next 5 hours. About 6am, I tried to come back to bed and, my dear husband asks "What's going on?". I then said in my meanest voice possible "I'll tell you what's going on..what's going on is that I am just now coming to bed!". I laid down and felt a little pull at his extra pillow I had just stolen only to feel him let it go, probably afraid to take it back. So later that morning, we went to the doctor on what must have been the busiest day of the year (lots of kids were in for physicals before the new school year - nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?). We had to sit on the floor most of the time because every time we would leave our seats so Patrick could go throw up some more, they would be taken when we returned. It was so heart breaking, because by this point, he was just screaming in agony every time he threw up the nothingness left in his stomach. So eventually we were called back to see the doctor and given some suppositories for Patrick and surprise, surprise, there was nothing wrong with Nicholas' ears. We left and got the suppositories and I won't reveal the gory details, but it was funny how Patrick just passed out on the floor within minutes of me putting it in. After that, we took a family nap, and about 3pm I was woken up by my biggest angel telling me he had thrown up at work and was coming home early. He must have felt really bad, because he has worked with his entire hand swollen from a grease spill, a bleeding leg wound and a smashed finger before, so this told me he was not in good shape. He came home and went to bed. Patrick woke up and felt better and all was good until...Tuesday I had a stomach problem which caused me to miss birthday club on my birthday month. Then last night, I was on my way out the door to church, when all of a sudden I became extremely nauseous and had more of the "D" word followed by a wonderful night of non stop puking my guts out. I am better this morning as I can hold down a glass of water and I am off for a nap now, as my parents saved the day and took Nicholas for me. Please pray that he won't get this "I think I am going to die" virus. I wouldn't wish these stomach pains on anyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pearson Family said...

Oh margaret! Emaline had it yesterday! The throwing up started around 5:00pm and went until 10:00 about every 15 minutes. THe fever didn't start until today, but has now broken. It was miserable. I am so sorry it hit your house. 2-3 kids had it from preschool weren't there today due to it. Get some rest!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

That is horrible. There is not much worse. Sorry girls. I hope that we don't get it. I hate barf. Who doesn't though. I can't believe people kept taking your seat. I would have seen sick kids and asked them to call me in the car when they were ready! Ewww!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Phillips Family said...

How horrible! I hope everyone is better now! I can't believe that no one would give you a seat in the waiting room....you know some of those people are just there for well visits!

10:44 AM  
Blogger jenny biz said...

Are you all better??? Sure do hope so... It is so hard when the mommy gets sick too!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hope y'all are all feeling better!

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home