Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Purpose

I am embarrassed to say that I am finally reading "The Purpose Driven Life" out of absolute desperation for rescue from the emotionally downward cycle I am currently experiencing. Here is an excerpt that really hits home for me...

"Many people are driven by guilt. They spend their entire lives running from regrets and hiding their shame. Guilt-driven people are manipulated by memories. They allow their past to control their future. They often unconsciously punish themselves by sabotaging their own success. When Cain sinned, his guilt disconnected him from God's presence, and God said, 'You will be a restless wanderer of the earth' That describes most people today-wandering through life without a purpose.

We are products of our past, but don't have to be prisoners of it. God's purpose is not limited by your past. He turned a murderer named Moses into a leader and a coward named Gideon into a courageous hero, and he can do amazing things with the rest of your life, too. God specializes in giving people a fresh start. The Bible says, 'What happiness for those whose guilt has been forgiven!...What relief for those who have confessed their sins and God has cleared their record'.

6 Comments:

Blogger jenny biz said...

I am learning what a stronghold that guilt can be!! I am often a "restless wanderer". Thanks for sharing this excerpt. (Still haven't read this book either!) And most importantly, I am praying for you.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Amen! I love you Margaret! I hope that you are finding comfort in the pages of that Godly book. I have not read it, but what you said was so right.

I spent years of my life living in dispair, and then months and then weeks and then days and now days, praise God, ususally just hours.

I am so thankful that God raises us out of the ashes and makes our lives into a beautiful work of art.

Just like a charcoal pencil in the hand of a great artist. He turns our pain into purpose. Praise God you can always turn to him for hope and healing!!!!

I hope you will always call when you are feeling that way. I think you are perfect just the way you are. Love, Amy!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't read it either, but maybe I will now! I admire you and will be praying for freedom from guilt. It is so hard to overcome, and I struggle daily too.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

I love you sweet friend, and am praying for you.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a good book and I'm glad you are finding solace. There are times when I remember something especially horrible I've done and the pain is still there but as Amy said, it doesn't last as long. It also reminds me again how wonderful God is in His grace and how wonderful heaven will be because we will be perfect. Love, Mom

6:00 PM  
Blogger amerriman said...

Praying for you!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home