Friday, May 04, 2007

24 Hours With Out Power

We have lost our power before. I think the longest was 7 hours. That was a nuisance, but paled in comparison to Wednesday night and all day Thursday. I learned many things from our little experience. I learned that Patrick is way too dependent on TV. I think his words were "I don't know what to do with out TV" (yikes! that is scary) I learned that a small generator can run two refrigerators (thanks to our neighbor, Ed, who offered to let us plug ours in) and we probably need to buy one as many power outages as we have in our neighborhood. I learned that after the refrigerator, the most important appliance in my life is the vacuum. Oh, how I could hardly stand not to be able to vacuum! I was crawling around on my hands and knees trying to free the floor of debris from Nicholas's open mouth. I was also fond of seeing so many people out and about on our block talking to one another and making sure people were ok. We tend to hole up in our homes and not communicate with one another which is kind of sad to me. But the biggest thing I learned during out 24 hours in the dark was this...there are way too many distractions in my life that I am letting keep me from a closer walk with God. I hope this will be a lesson to me to have a pure mind free of clutter from the outside world. I watch too much TV and probably could spend less time on the internet. Should I die tomorrow, I have to wonder if God would ask me, "Why could you not give Me 20 minutes a day? What was so important that I was not the priority?"

2 Comments:

Blogger jenny biz said...

Sharing your thoughts!!Yet I continue to not do too much about it!! Thanks for the refocus!!!You are a beautiful women!!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Great observations. Almost makes me wish I had no power, but not really.

So sad what I just said. You told me all the blessings that came, and I said I would rather have a cheap substitute. (My own power as opposed to power from God)

Amazing how dense we really are. I love it when the neighbors get out and talk as well. Maybe we can keep the air-conditioning and vacuum power and just turn off the TV!

Bryan has worked in many homes without TVs. The way he talks about the families, they seem so much closer and well adjusted.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home