Tuesday, May 20, 2008

And, I got the guy...

We were with our neighbors recently and they wanted to know our history. Sweetly, it reminded me of one of the 80s movie favorites "Sixteen Candles". Girl has crush on guy, girl gets guy. I first saw Chuck the first day of my freshman year of high school. Pep rallies were scheduled during the last 30 minutes of school. That first day...we were all rallied to the gym and there were open spaces where the JV football and Varsity Football teams were supposed to be in the bleachers. In the middle of that wide open space was a very daring sophomore, mad at the world, for making him participate in high school festivities...there he sat in that wide open space, with his skater hair and anti-establishment attitude. And there I sat mesmerised...following him for the next two years. I would figure out his class schedule/locker and stalk him! I was a stalker for two years! He ran in close circles to my own and there were a few lunch/smoke breaks where we almost had conversation...but nothing quite materialized...until....

My Junior year (his senior) we ended up in second period Art II together. Mrs. Latray sat us across from each other the second day. There was a lot of nervous small talk and foot tapping (on my part) and at some point in late September of 1990, I made the plunge of inviting him to meet up with me and my friends in the graveyard (yes, remember I was goth and we lived in WF with not much else to do) and he accepted. Our first phone conversation happened on November 01, 1990 and we talked for 3 hours.When I hung up the phone, I said to my friend, Kure, "that is the man I am going to marry" and I did on July 01, 1995. It never ceases to amaze me how I can still hear his voice on the phone, smell his cologne or look in his eyes and be floored by the butterflies I feel when he walks through the door or tells me he loves me. I still revel in the fact that..."I got the guy!".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we got a wonderful son-in-law and 2 precious grandsons!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

Margaret, I loved reading this. You two are so special. We sure miss you!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

That is so cute. What a great read. YOu made my day. That would make a nice love story. It sounds like a movie.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home